Call for papers
The 19th Annual Conference of the
European Association for Machine Translation
May 30 - June 1, 2016
The European Association for Machine Translation (EAMT) invites everyone interested in machine translation, translation-related tools and resources to participate in this conference ― developers, researchers, users, professional translators and translation/localisation managers: anyone who has a stake in the vision of an information world in which language barriers and issues become less visible to the information consumer. We especially invite researchers to describe the state of the art and demonstrate their cutting-edge results, and professional MT users to share their experiences.
We expect to receive manuscripts in these three categories:
(R) Research papers
Long-paper submissions (12 pages) are invited for reports of significant research results in any aspect of machine translation and related areas. Such reports should include a substantial evaluation component, or have a strong theoretical and/or methodological contribution where results and in-depth evaluations may not be appropriate. Papers are welcome on all topics in the areas of machine translation and translation-related technologies, including:
- Advances in various MT paradigms: data-driven, rule-based, and hybrid approaches
- Technologies for MT deployment: quality estimation, domain adaptation, etc.
- MT in special settings: low resources, massive resources, high volume, low computing resources
- MT applications: translation/localisation aids, speech-to-speech, speech-to-text, OCR, MT for user generated content (blogs, social networks), etc.
- Linguistic resources for MT: dictionaries, terminology, corpora, etc.
- MT evaluation techniques and evaluation results
- Human factors in MT and user interfaces
- Related multilingual technologies: natural language generation, information retrieval, text categorisation, text summarisation, information extraction, etc.
Papers should describe original work. They should emphasise completed work rather than intended work, and should indicate clearly the state of completion of the reported results. Where appropriate, concrete evaluation results should be included.
(U) User studies
Short-paper submissions (3-6 pages) are invited for reports on users' experiences with MT, be it in small or medium size business (SMB), enterprise, government, or NGOs. Contributions are welcome on:
- Integrating MT and computer-assisted translation into a translation production workflow (e.g. transforming terminology glossaries into MT resources, optimizing TM/MT thresholds, mixing online and offline tools, using interactive MT, dealing with MT confidence scores);
- Use of MT to improve translation or localisation workflows (e.g. reducing turnaround times, improving translation consistency, increasing the scope of globalisation projects);
- Managing change when implementing and using MT (e.g. switching between multiple MT systems, limiting degradations when updating or upgrading an MT system);
- Implementing open-source MT in the SMB or enterprise (e.g. strategies to get support, reports on taking pilot results into full deployment, examples of advanced customisation sought and obtained thanks to the open-source paradigm, collaboration within open-source MT projects);
- Evaluation of MT in a real-world setting (e.g. error detection strategies employed, metrics used, productivity or translation quality gains achieved);
- Post-editing strategies and tools (e.g. limitations of traditional translation quality assurance tools, challenges associated with post-editing guidelines);
- Legal issues associated with MT, especially MT in the cloud (e.g. copyright, privacy);
- Use of MT in social networking or real-time communication (e.g. enterprise support chat, multilingual content for social media);
- Use of MT to process multilingual content for assimilation purposes (e.g. cross-lingual information retrieval, MT for e-discovery or spam detection, MT for highly dynamic content);
- Use of standards for MT.
Papers should highlight problems and solutions and not merely describe MT integration process or project settings. Where solutions do not seem to exist, suggestions for MT researchers and developers should be clearly emphasised. For user papers produced by academics, we require co-authorship with the actual users.
(P) Project/Product description
Abstract submissions (1 page) are invited to report new, interesting:
- Tools for machine translation, computer aided translation, and the like (including commercial products and open-source software). The authors should be ready to present the tools in the form of demos or posters during the conference.
- Research projects related to machine translation. The authors should be ready to present the projects in the form of posters during the conference. This follows on from the successful ‘project villages’ held at the last EAMT conferences.
The programme will include oral presentations and poster sessions. Accepted papers may be assigned to an oral or poster session, but no differentiation will be made in the conference proceedings.
The conference proceedings will be published as a special issue of the Baltic Journal of Modern Computing (BJMC), a scholarly open access electronic quarterly journal, which is indexed by Thomson Reuters Web of Science Core Collection (Emerging Sources Citation Index), EBSCO, ProQuest, Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ), Google Scholar, VINITI, Directory of Research Journal Indexing (DRJI) and Open J-Gate, and has applied to be indexed in Scopus.
In addition, the best accepted papers will be selected to be published, in an extended version, and with a lighter reviewing process, as regular papers in the Springer Machine Translation journal.
Best Thesis Award
The EAMT Best Thesis Award 2016 for PhD theses submitted during 2015 will be awarded at the conference, together with a presentation of the winner’s work. Information for candidates to the award is available at: http://www.eamt.org/news/news_best_thesis2015.php. The deadline is the same as for the paper submission.